The vaguely green-fingered thoughts of a rambling rose.

What's the Story?

In the past, during the summer months, the greenhouse became a pretty empty space once all the bedding plants were hardened off.  Having said that, I can't remember a time where I haven't grown Morning Glories in a greenhouse, but I usually stick to the bright blue varieties. These were a freebie from a magazine.
I train them along string tied around the inside of the greenouse, and they do the rest. Each bloom lasts just one day, but if you have a few pots of them, they will produce a magnificent display which will last all summer if you deadhead regularly. Admittedly their flowers will face out toward the sun, so best viewed from outside the greenhouse, but if you plant and train them in just the right spot, they will also provide some much-needed shade for the plants within.


I have in recent years tried tomatoes of course in the greenhouse, but until this year, it was still a pretty boring place to be. This year things have been quite different. I have cuttings of all kinds, cucumbers, courgettes, peppers and herbs. Also in flower in the greenhouse are my pots of Freesias. My first attempt, and while not excellent with pretty sick looking leaves, has produced a handful of powerfully fragranced sprays for the house to go with the sweetpeas.


This week I have sheared off the tops of the purple hardy geraniums in the hope that they'll flower again in a few weeks and the hardy fuschias have begun flowering.


The white rose 'Pascali' has just one single bloom, but what a cracker!


A pleasing effect using a plum coloured Coleus and a sugar-pink Pelargonium in the wall basket beside the front door. Although this gets very little sun, it certainly packs a punch.


No comments:

Post a Comment