The vaguely green-fingered thoughts of a rambling rose.

Dahlias

Did you know that Dahlias were originally grown for their edible tubers?  I haven't tried them myself, but I think I'd still prefer to grow them for their flowers.


I grew all of these dahlias from seed at the beginning of this year. I had so many plants that I had to give a fair amount to other family members for their own gardens!



Ok so the slugs are partial to them, as are earwigs, but to be honest they have really paid for their keep with so many different colours, variations and sizes, that I had to celebrate them before the frosts come along to blacken the stems.


Dahlias come from Mexico. They were sent back to Europe by the Spanish settlers who had made Mexico their home in the 18th century. 


The plant was named after Andreas Dahl.


Plants range from dwarf bedding varieties to giants that can tower over The Man That Can!

No comments:

Post a Comment